When I was a kid my best friend and I would always say that we wanted to be teachers. I remember thinking that grading papers would be quite fulfilling. While my buddy went on to complete her education degree, I worked towards my social work degree and figured my childhood goal was just an overflow of my desire to hold my teachers' hands.
Fast forward eleven years after college graduation and I get to be a teacher after all.
And now that I'm a mom, a teacher, and I have the privilege to walk alongside students and at-risk children, I think I can somewhat connect to the various fears, joys, and experiences that come with a new school year.
Dear Parents,
May you feel peace that your children are equipped for the things they will face this upcoming school year. And even if they're not ready, may God give them the grace and resilience they need to grow from adversity. May you muster up the courage to trust their teachers to guide their morality and development and may you discern the need to advocate for your child as needed. I wish you good rest, freedom from illness, and cooperation with homework time and bedtime. I hope you notice the stickers, the excitement, and the change in tone when something didn't go well. I hope you have the words to say when they don't make the team, the choir, or the play. May God get your attention when you see sudden changes in dress, interests, and what you thought was "normal" behavior. Take courage in asking for help if your child needs it. They aren't the only ones....I promise. I hope you feel convicted to connect with other parents who aren't in your "circle" and take time to pray for your teachers and administrators. I hope you celebrate the small achievements and avoid comparing your child to other kids. I hope you're able to arrange your schedule to attend the ball games, the music recitals, and science fairs. May God give you time to connect with your spouse in the midst of your busy schedules and give you joy in watching your children grow. I hope you forgive yourself for making mistakes and ask your children to forgive you too. I hope you take time to pray with, read to, and talk to your children about the joys and hurts they experience at school and at home. They love you so much and can't do this hard life without you.
Dear Students,
New school years can be fun and exciting yet scary and overwhelming at the same time. I hope you learn to enjoy school and feel confident in your academic abilities. I hope you connect with your teachers and feel affirmed and validated by them. This world is messy and scary and I hope you find safety and comfort this school year. I hope you find the courage to see the good in people, even when they aren't kind. I hope you see the gifts that God has given you, even if no one has yet affirmed you in it. God is making beauty out of your story and he wants you to share it. Be kind. Think of others. Offer your help when you can. Academics are important but you know what? Being kind is better. I hear that those bus rides can be difficult sometimes so let someone know if something isn't going well and be kind to the younger kids. Don't hurt people with your words. Be careful with your cell phones and technology. Speak up when you see someone hurting someone else. Choose your friends wisely and practice saying "no" in the mirror so it doesn't feel so awkward that first time you need to say it. I know your parents might overwhelm you with questions sometimes but they just care about you and aren't always sure how to connect with you. I hope you know that although they look busy they are never too busy to talk to you or give you a hug. I hope you have the courage to ask questions and think deeply about things that others seem to have simple answers for. I hope you try to listen to the stories behind the problems that you hear and develop a heart for helping. If you aren't sleeping well, if you feel fearful, anxious or sad; if someone has hurt you or is hurting you, please tell someone. If that person doesn't do anything to help you please keep telling until someone listens. You deserve that because you are precious. I hope you know that God has good things planned for you and He created you so beautifully and wonderfully. Live in that. Rest in that.
Dear Teachers,
I know you hear that you "get summers off" but I know that you put in hundreds of night and weekend hours during the school year taking care of your classroom and students. Thank you for caring for kids and loving our children. Thank you for taking the time to listen to and develop their passions and interests. Thank you for spending your personal money to help kids feel special and loved. Bless you for bringing in articles, animals, videos, and activities that feed their curious spirits. Thank you for being patient during those long parent-teacher conferences and for empathizing with the chaotic home lives that some of your students have. Please watch very closely for those children who may be experiencing any violence or hurt at home. It's happening to a few of your students. If you sense it, please be brave enough to ask--and much more, do something about it. You're admired for tolerating the hyper and obnoxious kids and I pray you can find the time to sit down and hear the story behind the story. I hope you find successful ways in helping students feel cared for and understood while still trying to manage a full classroom. I hope your administrators and leaders trust you and that they give you the time you need to take care of your own families. I pray that God protect you and your families from sickness and adversity. You make a difference. Thank you!
Fast forward eleven years after college graduation and I get to be a teacher after all.
And now that I'm a mom, a teacher, and I have the privilege to walk alongside students and at-risk children, I think I can somewhat connect to the various fears, joys, and experiences that come with a new school year.
Dear Parents,
May you feel peace that your children are equipped for the things they will face this upcoming school year. And even if they're not ready, may God give them the grace and resilience they need to grow from adversity. May you muster up the courage to trust their teachers to guide their morality and development and may you discern the need to advocate for your child as needed. I wish you good rest, freedom from illness, and cooperation with homework time and bedtime. I hope you notice the stickers, the excitement, and the change in tone when something didn't go well. I hope you have the words to say when they don't make the team, the choir, or the play. May God get your attention when you see sudden changes in dress, interests, and what you thought was "normal" behavior. Take courage in asking for help if your child needs it. They aren't the only ones....I promise. I hope you feel convicted to connect with other parents who aren't in your "circle" and take time to pray for your teachers and administrators. I hope you celebrate the small achievements and avoid comparing your child to other kids. I hope you're able to arrange your schedule to attend the ball games, the music recitals, and science fairs. May God give you time to connect with your spouse in the midst of your busy schedules and give you joy in watching your children grow. I hope you forgive yourself for making mistakes and ask your children to forgive you too. I hope you take time to pray with, read to, and talk to your children about the joys and hurts they experience at school and at home. They love you so much and can't do this hard life without you.
Dear Students,
New school years can be fun and exciting yet scary and overwhelming at the same time. I hope you learn to enjoy school and feel confident in your academic abilities. I hope you connect with your teachers and feel affirmed and validated by them. This world is messy and scary and I hope you find safety and comfort this school year. I hope you find the courage to see the good in people, even when they aren't kind. I hope you see the gifts that God has given you, even if no one has yet affirmed you in it. God is making beauty out of your story and he wants you to share it. Be kind. Think of others. Offer your help when you can. Academics are important but you know what? Being kind is better. I hear that those bus rides can be difficult sometimes so let someone know if something isn't going well and be kind to the younger kids. Don't hurt people with your words. Be careful with your cell phones and technology. Speak up when you see someone hurting someone else. Choose your friends wisely and practice saying "no" in the mirror so it doesn't feel so awkward that first time you need to say it. I know your parents might overwhelm you with questions sometimes but they just care about you and aren't always sure how to connect with you. I hope you know that although they look busy they are never too busy to talk to you or give you a hug. I hope you have the courage to ask questions and think deeply about things that others seem to have simple answers for. I hope you try to listen to the stories behind the problems that you hear and develop a heart for helping. If you aren't sleeping well, if you feel fearful, anxious or sad; if someone has hurt you or is hurting you, please tell someone. If that person doesn't do anything to help you please keep telling until someone listens. You deserve that because you are precious. I hope you know that God has good things planned for you and He created you so beautifully and wonderfully. Live in that. Rest in that.
Dear Teachers,
I know you hear that you "get summers off" but I know that you put in hundreds of night and weekend hours during the school year taking care of your classroom and students. Thank you for caring for kids and loving our children. Thank you for taking the time to listen to and develop their passions and interests. Thank you for spending your personal money to help kids feel special and loved. Bless you for bringing in articles, animals, videos, and activities that feed their curious spirits. Thank you for being patient during those long parent-teacher conferences and for empathizing with the chaotic home lives that some of your students have. Please watch very closely for those children who may be experiencing any violence or hurt at home. It's happening to a few of your students. If you sense it, please be brave enough to ask--and much more, do something about it. You're admired for tolerating the hyper and obnoxious kids and I pray you can find the time to sit down and hear the story behind the story. I hope you find successful ways in helping students feel cared for and understood while still trying to manage a full classroom. I hope your administrators and leaders trust you and that they give you the time you need to take care of your own families. I pray that God protect you and your families from sickness and adversity. You make a difference. Thank you!
Comments
Post a Comment